Thursday, January 26, 2012

Irresistable urges


True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist (Albert Einstein)

Without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to play of imagination is incalculable (Carl Jung)

The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person (Frank Barron)

My creativity has been dormant for a while. Earlier this week though, I was like a creature obsessed. My art making paraphernalia were scrabbled out of the cupboards. I was on a mission to make art. I worked in my journals, using older art: ripping, tearing, cutting, collaging, I created in frenzy. But at the same time, on another level, it was a calm meditation time for me; I was oblivious to the world and felt a little harried when the world intruded on my fantasical haven.

I was quite caught up and fascinated by this irresistible urge to create. My desk although I attempted to tidy it, still bears remnants of this mad spree.

If I just let go, what other irresistible urges will emerge?

No comments:

Post a Comment