Sunday, January 15, 2012

On emptiness


Opportunities are like sunrises. If you wait too long, you miss them  (William Arthur Ward)
We put thirty spokes to make a wheel; but it is on the hole in the centre that the use of the cart hinges.
We make a vessel from a lump of clay; but it is the empty space within the vessel that makes it useful.
We make doors and windows for a room; but it is the empty spaces that make the room liveable.
Thus, while existence has advantages, it is the emptiness that makes it useful
(Lao Tzu c.604 - 531 B.C.)
My life is emptier than it was last week. My heart is broken. My little Precious has gone off to university. A new journey for Ariél; a new beginning. I wish her a journey full of EMPTY moments that she will fill to the brim with usefulness and FUN.

In the empty spaces left by Ariél not being here, I am going to sew more; make more art; study more; be wilder. 

Plan of action for tomorrow:
Start the day filling an EMPTY stomach with homemade Green Monster Juice + fruit salad = RAW
Do the washing so the washing basket is empty (but the washing machine, folding and putting away pile and ironing pile will be full…)
Start sewing the dress for work – all-dressed-up-and-nowhere-to-go!
Fill empty moments with useful ones.

I was delighted by this picture outside my window last week. Sunrise. SUN. Winter in the northern hemisphere is quite long and bleak with many grey days. When I do see sun, I am elated; I really appreciate the sunny days – they are the gorgeous golden honey replacing emptiness with beauty and hope.

So, little Ariél – make each day FABULOUS, take note of the emptiness-es and decide whether they need filling, or whether they need to be empty for you to replenish and re-fill your chi… Enjoy your university life both the full-to-the-brim moments, and the reflective empty ones. 

3 comments:

  1. Aah my wise, sad Sista. Sending you one of my really big squeezy hugs. I so love your blogs - you fill spaces in me when I read them. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol what emptiness is this you speak of?! As far as I'm aware you have the delightful music sensations of Lily to keep you filled to the brim with joy and excitement and happiness (and madness). LuL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear more about the wilder stuff

    Hanlie

    ReplyDelete